Saturday, July 15, 2006

Up, Up and Away!

Its not a bird, its not a plane, its not Krrish, its Superman. Woah! Look at him fly.

I watched Superman today - the legal version - in a multiplex. I have grown up reading the Tinkles, the Chacha Chaudhris, the Tintins, the Phantoms, the Supermans etc. Watching a superhero movie is an extension of myself. So, dare I miss the opportunity today, albeit alone!

Even before the national anthem could begin, I could hear a kid wailing "Superman" behind me. He just couldn't wait for the action to begin and so did I. And then an amusing moment. A middle aged lady with a husband and two kids had to settle on the seat next to me and boy, wasn't she alarmed at having to sit near a lone stranger. I felt myself thinking whether watching a movie alone was a taboo or whether I looked like a flirt.

Well, I liked the movie to an extent. But the impression that I had of Superman as a macho dude completely evaporated. He is depicted as a wimp, a romantic fall guy who cannot fathom the loss of his love. A metrosexual in general terms. But, a thumbs up to the graphics team for the rollicking jet scene. My heart just stopped breathing that moment. And here's the tagline which caught my ears "To sell news, you need three things: Sex, Terror and Superman"

The world really demands a saviour like Superman. A true superhero. Someone who trashes off all the hate in the world. Someone who takes all of us into the Cartoon Network universe, where no one dies and where the good always triumphs over the evil. Unfortunately, the only Superhero the entire humanity (except me) relies on, is either non-existent or is too busy to open the Earth file in which case, He needs to be bribed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home