Monday, May 29, 2006

My first steps in social activism

I visited Azad Maidan on Sunday to understand this Youth for Equality mass hysteria rally. These guys are basically docs working in the most reputed medical institutes in Mumbai and Maharashtra protesting against this entire reservation hoopla. Here are some snippets:
1. A very strange development seems to be unfolding. I could see that a lot of people from different walks of life have begun to join the agitation. Some 2-3 thousand of them. Their moral stand is not against reservation per se, it is about introducing caste as a means to segregate people. I could see retired denizens, housewives, teachers, corporates, doctors, engineers, businessmen - basically the entire middle class 'intelligentsia', who believe in a new brand India.
2. There were a few seemingly ordinary guys, who took this opportunity to use their oratory skills to get into the limelight. There were some notable speakers too - Ashok Pandit (an activist), Lalmalani (a rich IITian alumni capable of garnering a huge support), Tiku Talsania (movie artist), Shiv Khera (of "You can Win" fame). Well, all these guys flared up the emotions of all those present.
3. Sloganeering was rampant. Not one politician was spared. "Arjun Singh hai hai" is still buzzing in my ears.
4. Earmarked for the occasion was writing letters to the President. Yeah, you read it right. Our honorable President Abdul Kalam was requested to look into the matter and possibly resign, if he didn't agree with this petty votebank politics. I simply hope, he reads my letter.
5. The corporates supporting this agitation met separately and discussed the strategy. I requested everyone to mobilise further support for this agitation and take responsibility for their branches. Ensuing weekend might see us going for day-long hunger strikes and more agitations.
6. Media publicity is essentially needed and the circus of journalists were always mobbed.
7. I am about to write to the PM. You can do the same here.

A final note on what inspires me:
Zindagi jeene ke do tarike hote hain. Ek jo hota hai hone do, sab kuch bardaasht karte jao yaa phir zimedaari uthao use badalne ki. Definitely filmy, but not a tad false.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home