Sunday, April 19, 2009

Breathless

Paris. Jean-Paul Belmondo as Michel. Jean Seberg as Patricia. He a gangster. She an American student.


A bout de souffle (Breathless, 1959). Godard's finest. One of my favorites. Some lovely quotes, which abound in my head:

Michel:
"There's no need to lie. It's like poker. The truth is best. The others still think you're bluffing, so you win. "

Patricia:
''I don't know if I am unhappy because I am not free, or if I am not free because I am unhappy.''

Michel: "If you don't like the sea... and don't care for the mountains... and don't like the big city either... go hang yourself! "

Patricia: "We look at each other in the eye, and it's no use. "

Michel: "Reminds me of the one about the condemned man. Climbing the scaffold stairs, he trips, and says, "It figures..."

Patricia: "It's sad to fall asleep. It separates people. Even when you're sleeping together, you're all alone. "

Michel: " It's silly, but I love you. I wanted to see you, to see if I'd want to see you. "

Patricia: " We're hiding like elephants when they're happy. "

and finally the best -
Patricia: "Do you know William Faulkner? "
Michel: "No. Who's he? Have you slept with him? "

---
Source for the quotes

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home