Friday, August 10, 2007

Xibalba - A Violin's Dream

I had to write this. I seriously had to. It had so swamped my mind, that it was getting unbearable.

Ever heard a tune, which is just so beautiful and heavenly that it never leaves your soul. Its right up there whispering at all times and perking you up to listen to it again and again.

I am in the midst of such a phase and its totally bewildering. The most important reason that I loved this composition are the emotions it evokes. And there is only one instrument which can do that - my favorite - the violin. Being a keen aficianado of the violin (well, classical music as such) and who has spent some time learning it, I am pretty much confident and certain of the comment I made above. So, I repeat it again. There is no other instrument as soul- stirring as the violin. It can cover the entire gamut of human emotions with surprising fluidity.

Below is the dreamy tune which has been blowing my mind. From the movie "The Fountain" which I will go ga-ga over, someday. The whole album by Clint Mansell should reside in every classical music fan's top drawer.

Its called Xibalba - the underworld as per the Mayan mythology. Close your eyes, listen to it and experience the beauty. Realise how a violin's dream comes true when it can stir those dour emotions within you.


Ahh...breathtaking eh? A tear around? The exact feelings and emotions running through me:

Feel the transition of a human's
journey.


The soft subtle start with a low humming bass coagulates with the birth - the beginning of life. A certain innocence and the thirst to know more.

A haunting chorus follows. The gentle violin and the humble rendering bass takes you through the joys of experiencing the young life. The ups and downs, the anxiety, love and the secret gossips.

The violin takes over gradually. Its the mid-life crisis. Wanting to reach high, but bound by limitations. More mature but unstable.

The final chorus juxtaposed with the violin and the intermittent keyboard - captivates you to a sense of euphoric high. The end is near. Introspection. Life
is flashed back to understand its real purpose.


Its the end. Death is the road to Awe.

Love is the central theme between the mind, the soul and life.

Or maybe you can check out another track from the same album. Maybe "First Snow" will take you to a different stratospheric crescendo.


Or maybe, this gentle keyboard tune makes you feel humane, loved and immortal. You might just levitate in the air after hearing "Together We Will Live Forever".


Maybe, I convinced you why nothing comes close to classical music. And the violin of course.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Pri said...

though im not too mich of a listener of classical music, these tracks had me spellbound...
n ur descripton---amazing!!
guess it was the way u described it itsself tht made me enjoy the first track more :)
lovely!
keep rocking

6:51 PM  
Blogger Gayatri said...

you've convinced me to pay more attention to classical music for sure :)

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home