Sunday, October 28, 2007

Three Songs

I enter the bar. Dimly lit. A festooned stage few meters away. Am led to a corner table with a flower vase on it. The performance begins. And am mesmerized by the sensuality.



[ Film: Howrah Bridge, 1958
Song: Aaiiye Meherbaan
Music: O.P. Nayyar
Singer: Asha Bhosale
Featuring: Madhubala and Ashok Kumar ]

I was so blown away by her. Never have I and never will I see a more beautiful woman. The ravishing element juxtaposed with the sweetest innocence.

I asked her what she would be doing tomorrow. To my heartbreak, she was to leave tomorrow by train.

Ummm....let me see how I can woo her. All I would need is a jeep driven by my buddy.



[ Film: Aradhana, 1969
Song: Mere Sapnon Ki Rani
Music: S.D. Burman
Singer: Kishore Kumar
Featuring: Rajesh Kumar and Sharmila Tagore ]
Its so cool that she also likes Alistair Maclean.

Ahhh. But it is so tough to depart like this. However, I know she is due to return in two days. Till then, I need to think.

I fix up our date at this beautiful tower I know.



[ Film: Tere Ghar Ke Saamne, 1963
Song: Dil ka Bhanwar
Music: S.D. Burman
Singer: Mohammed Rafi
Featuring: Dev Anand and Nutan ]
I think she has agreed. Yippee!

---
Hindi cinema was at its pinnacle over 30-40 years ago. Epitomized by the legends.

Three of my favorite songs spiced with a fictional story.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, 3 great songs!!!! Of a wonderful age in the indian cinema......

loved it :) and yes the term came from your inspirations sir.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Pri said...

all 3 are amongst my favs :)
as for the piece of fiction, could actually visualise it happening to u :p

4:16 AM  
Blogger indicaspecies said...

Oh, it's time for movies.

Lovely songs of the golden era. I'm glad you mentioned both Asha and Rafi.

Some of my favorites songs of yesteryears that I can remember now are: Ao huzoor tumko sitaron pe le chaloon (Asha), Raat akeli hai bujh gaye diye (Asha), Diwana Hua Badal (Rafi in Kashmir Ki Kali). The last song is a reminder to me that it's time to make a trip to Dal Lake.

Reading the fiction in your post, I get a feeling you are enjoying being the hero of the 80s. Are you? :)

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Tejas said...

@Ashu,
Thanks...and feel free to use the term. I do not have any right over that term, madam :)

@Pri,
If you are so confident of it happening...awesome:) Thanks.

@Indicaspecies,
I'd love to emulate those 60-70s heroes in their bell-bottoms and their wonderful hairdos :)
Plus, getting to lipsync Rafi and Kishoreda songs would be such an honour :)

12:38 PM  
Blogger annie said...

How lovely...u have some great talent of writing :D

3:19 AM  
Blogger Souvik Chatterji said...

SD Burman had given landmark songs to Lata also in Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s film Chupke Chupke in 1975. the film was based on the story portrayed in Uttamkumar’s Choddobeshi,

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home